Let’s face it, life is a never-ending stream of stress! Whether you are a working professional, a stay-at-home parent, or a business owner, the stress never ends. It’s how you chose to deal with it that matters. Meditation would be a great choice to help relieve some of those daily stresses.
Meditation is a state of deep peace that occurs when the mind is calm and focused.
5 reasons you should meditate:
- Sleep better: Sleep is not just what we are expected to do 6-8 hours-a-day, it is essential to proper cognitive functioning. Meditation not only helps to calm the nerves, but it also helps us to get more REM sleep and increases our brain’s production of melatonin. It can also aid in reducing insomnia and other sleep-related problems.
- Be happier and more alert: A study was done on 10 people who meditated daily for 6 weeks. At the end of this period, every participant reported being happier throughout the day and having much more energy. The study also found that Meditation increases the thickness of your prefrontal cortex, the area of your brain associated with attention and awareness.
- Beat anxiety attacks: The main reason we meditate to start with is to focus and channel our energy. If we spend all day worrying about things, this negative energy builds up in the form of negative stress, resulting in panic attack symptoms. The best way to deal with feelings of panic is to take repeated deep breaths and relax your body until you begin to feel a calming effect.
- More compassion: Research on Meditation shows that people who meditate regularly can empathize more with situations and are much more compassionate towards others. Part of this comes from the Amygdala-the part of the brain that processes emotional stimuli. Regular Meditation strengthens this part of the brain resulting in increased positive emotional responses.
- Better memory: One of the more significant results Meditation has been linked to is increased memory. Studies have shown that regular Meditation will result in more rapid memory recall. People who meditate are able to adjust the brain waves that screen out distractions and increase their productivity far better than people who don’t meditate.
There are many additional health benefits associated with Meditation. By doing Meditation exercises regularly, we are getting one step closer to achieving enhanced peace of mind and overall good health and well-being.